What fabric to choose when buying baby towel or blanket or swaddle.
As a mother without thinking twice my answer will be cotton Muslin. There aren’t many things that get better with time. Would it be nice to know that one of them might be your baby’s blanket? If you choose a cotton muslin swaddling blanket, it just might. Not only is it a wonderfully soft material, but it actually becomes softer the more you wash it. I am using it for 18 months now and it is still new and soft. I use it as both blanket and bath towel. It absorbs the water quickly without hurting the baby’s sensitive skin. My baby loves to be wrapped around it after his bath. First time I knew about it was when I was doing my pregnancy shopping. I was wondering which material will be good for my baby. In the first place I decided no fur cloth because baby might inhale the tiny particles. In Kiddy palace (Leading Kids departmental store in Singapore) they recommended this muslin swaddle blankets for new born baby. It was very soft but thin so I was fully not satisfied with it. My husband compelled to me to buy that so we bought but I decided to buy something better later. Till now I couldn’t find anything better. Yes once I started using ii I loved it. After each wash it was becoming softer. The material is easily breathable because of its thin nature. Lightweight fabric of muslin allows for airflow, reducing the risk of overheating and at the same time it provides required amount warmness as well. My baby sleeps peacefully when I wrap him with muslin blanket.
What is This Muslin Cloth?
Muslin is a cotton fabric of plain weave. Cotton muslin has been used for swaddling blankets since the 1600s in Europe and the Middle East. Muslin refers to a finely-woven breathable fabric. It is believed to have originated in India(Bengal) during the Middle Ages.
Even with all of the synthetic fabrics on the market today, cotton muslin is among the best (and I believe it’s the best) fabric for baby blankets and towels.
Here are some of its features:
- Light weight. This makes it perfect as a receiving blanket or swaddling wrap, especially during the summertime. Easy to carry when traveling. Fits in handbag also. I carry it in my handbag always so I can wrap when my baby sleeps in the travel.
- Soft and flexible. All you have to do is touch it yourself to know that cotton muslin is going to be very comfy for your baby. Its flexibility makes it perfect for wrapping baby while still allowing her to stretch her legs out without undoing the swaddling.
- Even though it is thin, cotton muslin is durable. Instead of wearing out, it actually becomes softer as you wash it. So, it’s one of the few things that actually get better with time and use.
- Cotton muslin is breathable. This benefits your baby because it allows airflow. It also allows moisture to evaporate. Babies sweat when they sleep, and many synthetic fabrics trap that moisture next to baby’s body. A soft cotton muslin blanket allows the moisture to escape, helping baby stay dry and comfortable.
- Cotton muslin is eco-friendly. Because it’s made of cotton, which is a completely renewable resource, choosing cotton muslin over synthetic materials is not only good for your baby, but for the environment as well.
- Absorbs well. It quickly absorbs the water if you use it as baby towel. When you wash your babies hair its very hand because it can absorb the water quickly and dries the hair soon
- It is not very beautiful as other blankets available in the market. It is very thin and available only in mild colors but you will love it if you start using it.
Babies spend a lot of their time sleeping. And for the three or four months of their lives, a lot of their time will be spent in a swaddling or receiving blanket. So, the softer and more comfortable baby’s blanket, the better.
Where to buy?
Greentikki has original Muslin Blankets at reasonable price. Cute designs available. You can shop at